So, here is a little New Year’s gift for you – 5 EASY-PEASY Food and Fitness Tips for you this year:
Remember, your weight or size is not a measure of your value as a person! This tip is the most important one! Being “too thin”, “too fat”, “too scrawny”, “too anything” is not a thing! What we are striving for is HEALTHY! A healthy weight can be a huge range! For example if you are 5’3” a healthy weight for a 15 year old girl can be in a range of over 30 pounds! Everyone is built differently!
So, you want to figure out if you are a healthy weight? You probably have heard of measuring your body mass index, or BMI. What is a BMI anyway? It is a measure of your body weight (or mass) based on your height. It doesn’t tell the difference between weight from muscle vs extra fatty tissue vs bones. It is just a general measure of if you are in a healthy range…. Speaking of, did you know that the BMI calculator for adults is NOT accurate for teens? There is a specific one for teens that factors in your age as well as your height and weight to help determine if you are in a healthy weight range.
Here it is: TEEN BMI calculator
I ran a few to give you an example of what the results can look like and here they are – for a 16 year old tall male, and for a 15 year old petite female – both are in the normal healthy BMI range:
Now BMI is not the end all and be all of healthy. What you put into your body determines that. So, I like to say that FOOD IS FUEL! Yes, that is exactly what it is. It is not good or bad. It is simply a source of fuel for your brain to learn in school, for your body to compete in sports, for your immune system to fight off illness, for your reproductive cycle to function normally, etc etc etc. You’ve heard it all - the food pyramid, the healthy plate, etc etc...
SO that gets me to what I like to call my 80/20 rule. There is no such thing as “bad” food and “good” food, and what you eat should not make you mad at yourself or feel like a bad person. There is room for everything (in moderation!) in everyone’s diet! I like to say 80% of your food and drinks that you have should be “fuel food” and the remaining 20% can be “fun food”. Total deprivation or banning entire food categories entirely just set you up to wig out and scarf everything in sight regardless of whether you are hungry or even have a taste for it. Or if you skip nutritious food groups, you might get yourself undernourished too – which is an equally bad problem! Vitamin pills and supplements do not make up for an unhealthy narrow diet.
Lastly, exercise. Being active is important. It helps improve your mood, makes your muscles and bones stronger, helps you manage stress, keeps your metabolism humming, makes it easier for you to get around and move, helps you sleep better and helps make it easier to balance those calories in vs calories out.
Now, Happy New Year! Make the most of it! Hoping Real Talk helps make YOUR new year healthier than the last!